Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

A choice in the matter


If there are few things that bind the human race together in a common ground, one of those things would be that we have all been through pain, many if not  all had our hearts broken by those in whom we trusted and placed our highest regards, those who haven’t endured this undoubtedly will at some point in their existence. I am confident that the majority of the human race has been both the heart breaker and the person who has their heart broken. These roles switch through time and circumstance but they are most common in all my limited experience.
                It is also my experience that what makes us different from each other is how we handle these moments of pain and heartbreak. I have read, experienced and learned from the entire spectrum of these reactions. I have hated on, despised, loathed, written off and allowed other’s actions to cripple me to a point very near death both literal and figurative. In all the things that I’ve learned I can tell you one truth that will remain truth in spite of me saying it, and in spite of anyone reading this believing it. We are beings who very much have the choice to allow ourselves to be changed by our circumstances for better or for worse. I have spewed plenty of negativity in my life, intentionally and unintentionally and I see now that all of it was a complete waste of time. 
                As much as this is a general statement it is also meant for specific situations and people. I am being held accountable in a few people’s minds for mistakes I have both made and other mistakes that were merely conjured up in the minds and hearts of confused and misdirected people. This paragraph goes out to you few people. Let go of what you think I did because any misunderstandings I caused have been more than atoned for by your constant vocalization of your hatred or distaste for me. If you want to remain unhappy and taking that out on me, I will not judge you. I will not even be frustrated with you but I can promise you, it is only yourself that you are hurting. For your sake more than for mine, let go of the pain and darkness by forgiving both the perceived and that which is reality. There is not enough time left in any of our lives to hold on to the pain that thwarts us from having less than beautiful lives. Know that I am sorry for any pain I’ve caused, and I just like you stand in need of forgiveness. Hatchets can and should be buried, or turned into tools of building and strengthening.        
                One of my favorite quotes is as follows “Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil-The silent unconscious, unseen influence in his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be. Life is a state of constant radiation and absorption; to exist is to radiate; to exist is to be the recipient of radiation. Man cannot escape for one moment from this radiation of his character, this constant weakening or strengthening of others. He cannot evade the responsibility by saying it is an unconscious influence. He can select the qualities that he will permit to be radiated. He can select calmness, trust, generosity, truth, justice, loyalty, nobility and make them vitally active in his character- and by these qualities he will constantly affect the world.”
                Although I cannot pretend I am flawless at this attempt I can say that these words are a very real part of how I try to live my life. I choose to, with every drop of energy I can radiate positivity into the world that I live in. I invite everyone to do the same. Let drops in the bucket become a flood of positive and helpful energy. This will be so much better than falling into an eye for an eye mentality, where we all end up blind.

1 comment: